Hdf or mdf wood which one is good for your next house building materials for long lasting and good durability. i will be sheding more insights on this topic to find the best wood material to use to build your next building or use for any projects.
Both MDF and HDF are structurally different and have their unique usages. There is no exact answer to which one is better. In this article, we are going to discuss all there is to know about HDF Vs MDF Board to help you decide which one you need.
What is HDF?
HDF is also known as high-density fiberboard. It is denser than both plywood and MDF. Therefore its name is HDF.
There is also a grade above HDF known as SRHDF or super-refined high-density fibreboard. HDF is more robust and thinner than MDF.
- Furniture that is regularly used: Regularly used furniture needs to be sturdier. The robust nature of HDF makes it a perfect fit for making this type of furniture.
- Floor laminating: You can use HDF for interior flooring. However, it is not suitable for exterior flooring as it can absorb water. HDF is built under extreme heat and pressure, so it is more durable to moisture.
- As skin for doors: HDF is hard and smooth. As a result, you can use it as decorative door skin.
- Backboard: You can use HDF as a backboard for framing paintings. It is also useful as a painting surface.
Hdf Wood Advantage
- HDF has a smooth surface that is ideal for painting.
- It is firmer and thinner than both plywood and MDF.
- It is less vulnerable to water compared to MDF but not wholly water-resistant.
- As this is artificially made, HDF does not crack or warm when the season changes. This quality helps in stopping any distortion of your home appliances.
What is Mdf
Medium-density fiberboard is the full form of MDF. It is called that due to the density of the wood. Also, it is denser than plywood but less dense than HDF.
mdf board usages
- MDF has many use cases because of its versatility. MDF is also affordable, sturdy, and durable
- Additionally, it has a smooth structure that makes sure you always have a consistent feeling when working with it. Here are some common usages of MDF.
- Building furniture
- Building interior cabinets
- Use as a flooring material
- Creating showpiece
- Speaker exterior
- Giving resistance to fire
- As a second layer for the roof
Advantage of mdf wood
- MDF is affordable and cost-effective compared to others like ply-wood.
- It has a smooth surface that is ideal for inserting color. The smooth surface makes the colouring process very easy and helps it look very eye-pleasing as well.
- MDF is very consistent throughout its surface area. It has no rough edges, so the cuts are always smooth.
- Because it has no rough edges, it is an ideal material for building showpieces.
- The smoothness of the MDF surface makes its usage very easy and straightforward.
- MDF is eco friendly.
Final Verdict: Which One to Go For
If you want something that’s strong enough to withstand heavyweights, go for HDF.
If you are a newbie and want to cut and shape your boards, it’s better to choose MDF. If you’re thinking of using MDF, make sure not to put too much weight on it.